Week ending 25th March

Thursday

 –  it was so wet and muddy away to the west that after extracting several loads of logs we moved back to work on the 3-track area.

A start was made on levelling the trackbed by taking out the high spots and spreading the surplus.  More blaes was dropped as required.   We also removed the provisional curved edge boards and made a start at digging out the banking soil to the final outline which will allow for the west end siding.   Work also proceeded on the edge boards.

 

For the next month at least we intend to concentrate Thursday effort on the trackbed between the steaming lie crossing and the junction where circuit C curves away from the “Newliston circuits”.

James

 

Saturday

Eleven on site this Sat.

Our water supply had been connected a few days earlier and it was nice to see a flow into the cabin’s sink and soak away outside. The station watering points are next to be connected to this supply pipe, from the cabin.

The small ( hired at no charge) dumper, James’ digger and Paul’s tractor, were all called out to operate.

                                        

Hand work was attempted in extending the edging boards, started the previous weekend, using our magic mirror!

This proved to be hard work, because of compacted blaes, when driving the support pegs in.

The tunnel floor was cleared of blaes, mainly to allow free flow of water through it. This needed to be cleared, then ballast would be the final layer, before panels were laid.

Shaving off the top edges of the deep cutting, before the tunnel was done, before the serious work of levelling off the cutting’s track bed.

The wide bucket of the digger had been welded / repaired to allow this item to be used, to it’s design and enabling the dumper to carry good loads.

                                        

Excess water had gathered at the tunnel mouth and dammed, while levelling work was achieved.

Once satisfied the heights were satisfactory a length of membrane was laid, covered by blaes.

This was delivered by the dumper and spread by hand.

The fruits of everybody’s labours was seen at the open ditch beyond the station, prior to it’s journey to the open field drain, at the east section of our domain. This is the next task mentioned, as the small digger will be ideal for tidying up the job, previously done by hand. 

The rodding point just at the bridge entrance, allowed the small ballasted sections to prove how much water had seeped under the track panels and drain away. 

Blaes was deposited at the tunnel mouth and a small section of membrane / blaes was continued westwards.

A trial area at the station was given over to placing a selection of mono blocs, making a pattern, using the sizes we had on site. 

                                       

The day was sunny but cool and most areas had dried out, nice day for a picnic!

                                         

A quick visit on Monday evening, since we gained an extra hour daylight, saw that the track bed had been completed up to the first junction, to an acceptable depth. The next operation looks like giving it a ballast covering and in through the tunnel, providing the levels are acceptable.

Stan